This week in the Kids Kitchen, we made Whole Grain Personal Pizzas! This is a super quick and nutritious snack (or meal) that our little Chefs really enjoy creating themselves. The whole grain crust is made by their little hands, and they each picked their favorite toppings: like bell peppers, black olives, mushrooms, onions and more!
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour or white-whole wheat
- 1 envelope yeast
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3-cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Additional flour for kneading
- 1-cup pizza sauce
- 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Other toppings spinach, tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, mushrooms, olives, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine undissolved yeast and very warm water into bowl. Leave it alone for a little bit.
- Then, add the oil and salt and stir.
- Add 1 1?2 cup of flour and mix until well blended, about 1 minute.
- You can do this in a food processor or mixer but we did it by hand. Gradually add enough
- remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Dough should form a ball and will be slightly sticky.
- Knead on a floured surface, adding additional flour if necessary, until smooth and elastic,
- about 4 minutes. Pat dough with floured hands to fill pizza pan or baking sheet. (Can use
- parchment paper.)
- Form a rim by pinching the edge of the dough. Spread with pizza sauce.
- Top with desired toppings and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake on lowest oven rack for 10-12 minutes for large pizza and about 8 minutes for mini-pizzas, until cheese is bubbly and crust is browned.