Consider these Spring Egg Flowers when looking for a creative way to bring another vegetable serving to the table. At home and at Kids Kitchen, kids are more receptive when they take part in the cooking process.
You can use this simple recipe to help boost your kids’ confidence in the kitchen, as well as feed them a nutritious meal. Made with eggs and sliced bell pepper, kids can crack the egg to cook inside the bell pepper ring then plate their fancy flowers in celebration of spring. Kids can choose to keep their yolk intact or to cook it ‘over-hard’.
As a nutritionist, I love teaching the life skill of cooking. Of course it’s health and nutrition, but cooking also builds confidence, self-reliance, creativity, and a willingness to try new things.
- 6 eggs
- 2 bell peppers, red, orange, or yellow
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 6 Celery sticks
- Slice bell pepper into rings, removing the seeds and ribs from the center. You can get 3-4 thick slices out of each bell pepper.
- Prepare celery stalks by removing a layer of ‘strings’ off the back of the celery and then cut into sticks about 5” long.
- Heat skillet on medium heat. Add a small amount of olive oil to pan.
- Place bell pepper ring onto skillet and crack an egg into each ‘flower ring’. Break the yolk, if you choose for an over-hard egg.
- Let the egg cook almost through before flipping.
- When cooked to your desired doneness, season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a plate and add a celery stick for the flower stem. Decorate with parsley or other herb leaves for the leaves of the flower.