Carrots are one of the easiest vegetables to cook. You can buy them pre-sliced in sticks, you can use baby carrots, or you can buy organic which is readily available and not all that expensive. This dish would be BEAUTIFUL with the purple, white, or yellow carrots you can get at your local Farmers Market!
TIP: Don’t peel your carrots and discard all those vitamins and minerals. If there is a ‘weird’ looking part – go ahead and make it pretty if you must. But, just a good wash under water will do.
With the added honey at the end, kids who may not usually eat cooked vegetables may go for this one! The flavors in this dish…just work. Add it to your menu.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. Carrots, about 4 large, cut into skinny strips
- 1/2 lb. Green Beans, Sugar Snap Peas, or Parsnips (cut like carrots)
- Coarse Salt and Pepper
- 1-2 tbsp butter (optional) & 1 tbsp Honey
- Parsley or Rosemary, add to top for color and flavor
- Let kids cut carrots with a plastic lettuce knife (will be a little hard.) Add oil to pan over med-high heat. Add vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes or until fork tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add butter and honey and let caramelize for about 3-5 minutes. With scissors, cut herbs directly on top of dish before serving.