Hummus means Chickpeas in Arabic. It is a traditional dip from the Middle East made of mashed (cooked) chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, tahini (sesame seed), lemon juice, and salt. So, its a bean dip!
Often served with pita bread at Mediterranean, like Greek, restaurants in the US (however; I rarely saw it on the menu while visiting various Greek islands.)
What do you dip your hummus on? Corn tortilla chips, veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers?
What do you spread your hummus on? Tortilla wraps, chicken, and Sandwich Sushi Rolls?
Hummus is high in iron and Vitamin C. Because chickpeas are beans, this means hummus is a great source of protein and fiber. Naturally gluten free, this healthy bean dip is great addition to have as a refrigerator staple!
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE: Learn more ways you can use hummus by watching this video of my daughter and I making Sushi with Hummus: Sandwich Sushi Rolls
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- Spreadable cream cheese OR Hummus OR Guacamole
- Slender Strips of vegetables like cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, and/or squash.
- Avocado strips, optional
- Flatten out bread will rolling pin or back of cup, pressing down hard, and being careful not to tear the bread.
- Spread the cheese or hummus to cover bread entirely.
- Place vegetables in the center.
- Roll tightly to create a sandwich roll and cut in to sushi rolls (circle rounds).
- Serve for lunches, snacks, or appetizers at a party!