This week in the Kids Kitchen, we made Whole Wheat French Toast Roll-Ups! This is a quick, simple, and sweet snack your child will love to make on their own using their favorite fruits and spread.
During this easy, hands-on recipe kids were able to help with every step. To make our Whole Wheat French Toast
Roll-Ups, each student got 2 strawberries, a scoop of cream cheese and a piece of Whole Wheat bread. After the kids sliced their strawberries using our Kids Kitchen Chef Knives , they flattened out their piece of bread on the plate using their hands. The next step was spreading the cream cheese on one side of the bread, topping it with the freshly cut strawberries and rolling it up!
Just like regular French Toast, we took our roll-ups and dipped them in a mixture of milk and eggs and added them to our electric pan. Our students were VERY excited about the cinnamon sugar topping that we rolled our French Toast Roll-Ups in after they each side cooked to a nice golden brown. Since this is a pretty quick and simple recipes, our kids were able to make 2 during our 50 minute class. Our class requested to play the Duck, Duck, Goose game while our roll-ups were cooking. This activity allowed the kids to get out some energy in between snacks and play with one another.
Our students couldn’t get enough of this recipe and kept saying “This is so easy and fun! I can’t wait to get home and
make this for me and my family!” Definitely a keeper!
- 8 Slices Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
- Softened Cream Cheese, Nutella, or Nut Butter
- Diced strawberries
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Heaping Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Small amount of Butter, for greasing the pan
- 1. Cut the crust from each slice of bread and flatten it out with a rolling pin or the back of glass or bowl.
- 2. Place about 1-2 teaspoons of your chosen filling 1 inch from one end of the bread in a strip. Roll the bread up tightly and repeat with the remaining pieces of bread.
- 3. In a shallow bowl whisk the eggs and milk until well combined.
- 4. In a separate shallow bowl mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
- 5. Heat a skillet set over medium heat and melt a tablespoon of butter.
- 6. Dip each bread roll in the egg mixture coating well and then place them in the pan seam side down. Cook in batches until golden brown, turning them to cook and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add butter to the pan as needed.
- 7. Add cooked rolls immediately from the pan to the cinnamon sugar and roll until completely covered in sugar.
- 8. Enjoy!
- You may use any type of fruit and/or spread of your choice.
- I really like cream cheese with diced strawberries as one combination and Nutella with diced strawberries as another combination.
- You can serve with syrup for dipping but I think they're perfectly good all by themselves.