Guest Post: by Kensey Goebel, Contributing author
Summertime makes me think of outdoor cookouts and fresh veggies. Did you know you can cook almost anything on the grill! Fresh veggies, kabobs layered with your favorites, or even fruit can be delicious when grilled. Try making your favorite homemade pizza on the grill or even peaches with ice cream!
This can be a great opportunity for your child to help prepare a meal and also try new foods. Grilling is a healthy alternative because it doesn’t saturate food in large amounts of oil or grease.
Some ideas of heathy items to grill are tomatoes, onions, peppers, squash, pineapple, mango and peaches. Try different combinations to come up with your favorite.
Here is a recipe for an easy grilled pizza….
- Pizza crust (prepared or homemade)
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Your favorite toppings
- Heat up the grill (medium-high on gas grill)
- Brush pizza dough with olive oil on both sides.
- Then cook the dough for 3-5 minutes, checking on it to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Using a spatula or tongs, flip the dough.
- Add your toppings such as sauce, cheese, veggies or meats.
- Layer them thin so the heat cooks through evenly.
- Close the lid and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Take off with tongs or spatula when the edges look crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.
- I used balsamic vinegar and olive oil for my sauce with fresh mozzarella and tomatoes and spinach for my pizza.