Call these guys what you want, Tots, Balls, or Bites – this Cauliflower mixture is versatile as an appetizer, dinner side, or the star of your dinner as a baked casserole!
After steaming a small head of cauliflower, pulse the florets into a fine crumble in a food processor or blender to save time. Don’t have one? No worries – just need to chop up finely.
All the other ingredients are simple to remember: 1/2 cup bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, onion, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, and 3 tbsp. parsley! Season with salt and pepper to taste. After forming them into a ball (or oval for tots) roll them around in some extra bread crumbs (maybe some parmesan cheese too?) and make them crunchy in the oven by cooking at 400 degrees for about 18-20 minutes or until slightly brown.
We featured this recipe on Studio 512 – watch it here!
Find the full recipe below.
We also love sharing information about Chefs Club. Chefs Club is Powered By Kids Kitchen: The Online cooking club designed specially for kids ages 5 and up! Members are sent monthly packages and in this picture are a few examples of what their monthly kit includes!
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower florets, finely chopped or pureed
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (For Gluten Free: Use GF bread crumbs or ground GF crackers)
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs, for rolling balls in
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Cook the cauliflower florets by steaming a little over 2 cups raw cauliflower florets in a little water covered for for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender but not mushy, then drain well and dry on paper towel, then using a knife finely chop and set 2 cups aside. (Or use a food processor or blender to make a puree)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a nonstick cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with foil and spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture in your hands and roll into small balls. Roll the ball into the additional breadcrumbs in a small bowl and cover the outside. Place on the cookie sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, turning halfway through cooking until golden.
- Makes about 32 - 34 balls
- Cooks Notes: Need a time saver? Spread this mixture into a greased baking pan and pat down. Bake accordingly, looking for browning to let you know its done. Cut into squares.