Kids Kitchen Instructor Paige Balius led students at Brushy Creek Elementary in making Banana Breakfast Cookies. Paige reported, “We melted, mashed and measured — Once our cookies were done, they were gone in a flash!” Kids learned that making a delicious cookie for breakfast can in fact be nutritious.
This recipe combines bananas, oats, and flax with sweetness added using maple syrup (or honey) and either chocolate chips or raisins. Make a batch and have several breakfasts ready to go. Add a cup of milk and you have a complete meal (60% carbohydrates, 20% protein, and 20% healthy fats) to sustain you throughout your morning.
- 3 bananas
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1.5-2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats (gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup mini chocolate chips or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place bananas in a medium bowl and mash well. Add remaining ingredients to mashed bananas; stir well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll 1 tbsp of mixture into a ball. Place on baking sheet and flatten with bottom of cup or bowl.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cookies are golden and set. Allow to cool before serving.
- Serve with a glass of milk for a complete breakfast meal.